When Lori Spencer and I started talking about the panel, we came up with two possible approaches to the subject. I am interested to see which of these avenues seems more generative in terms of your individual backgrounds. Or, is there a way the two approaches could be combined?
1. The digital as a tool or process within the "traditional" book arts medium--given that digital is perhaps the 3rd major leap in the industry of the printed book, movable type and offset being the first two.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using digital tools to create artists' books?
How have digital tools and processes reshaped the relationship between author and reader?
Have digital processes led to an increase in accessibility, either for the author or the reader?
How has quality and quantity been affected?
How have digital tools caused changes in concept and structure?
2. The digital as a new medium related to the book arts.
How has the artists' book evolved and expanded as a result of influence of digital media?
How have digital and wireless communications influenced our concept of what books are, and their intended function?
What new approaches to the production of artists' books do we see as a result of this transition?
What potential do we see for the digital as a book arts related medium?
Has digital media allowed the book to expand into any uncharted territory?
We also need to consider how we will incorporate visuals into the panel. Any and all ideas are welcome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Sue, Margot and Pattie Belle! I am looking forward to working with you on this panel. I think it will prove a provocative one for the conference.
ReplyDeleteThanks Katie for getting this blog started.
The list of questions Katie posted were questions we put together at the end of the summer. Reading them now after the panel members have been solidified, there are certain questions that feel like better starting points then others. Maybe I'll just pose them and see if that takes us anywhere.
1. How have digital tools and mediums reshaped the relationship between author and reader?
2. How have digital and wireless communications influenced our concept, as authors/artists, of what books are and their intended function?
3. What potential do we see for the digital as a book arts related medium?
I pose these three questions to start because it seems like it would allow us to cover the widest range on this topic. The 1st question refering to the traditional artist book. The 2nd to the artist book in partnership with other digital mediums. The 3rd looking at digital mediums as book like formats.
Any thoughts or Suggestions?
>The 3rd looking at digital mediums as book like formats.
ReplyDeleteI'm very interested in addressing this aspect - particularly related to mobile devices. I'm afraid I can't really devote time and thought to the blog until late March - I'm in an artists' residency right now and then we move back to the US... It is all in the back of my mind, though... http://anart.no/archives/944
Thanks Lori for solidifying the questions. In terms of the range of our panelists' interests and approaches, I think we should devote some attention to each of the three questions. I feel like the next step could be to start looking at some images and projects (both from our panelists and outside) to pin down some examples. We can start by posting these images to the blog, then we can decide which examples we may want to incorporate into the panel.
ReplyDeleteSome of the things that come to mind are how digital print on demand has become an area of interest as has youtube. I recently purchased some of Scott McCarney's books that play/test the print on demand concept and am exploring that myself. I'm also working on flip book rotoscoping with my students as a book project and a youtube animation project. As an artist/author I am very much influenced by the relationship between audience and maker and consider wireless communications an effective and appealing venue.
ReplyDelete